At Wesley Commons, we believe each person’s recovery is a unique and distinct journey. Your therapy program is exclusively designed to provide a customized therapeutic plan, which enhances individualized and specialized treatment.
The Health Care Center offers comprehensive rehabilitation services, including occupational as well as physical and speech therapy. To us, rehabilitation means reshaping lives and restoring lost abilities after an illness or injury. It means treating the whole individual – physically, emotionally, and socially. In rehabilitation, the goal is to return individuals to their optimum level of function, so that they may have a better quality of life…. and get back where they belong!
Physical therapy works with individuals to decrease pain and improve strength, balance, endurance and range of motion. Physical therapy also increases functional mobility. Because recovery doesn’t end upon discharge, physical therapists also teach individuals and families how to continue function improvement at home and in the community. Skilled physical therapists’ treatments may include:
- Training in areas of bed mobility, transfers, and gait
- Pain management
- Range of motion therapy
- Strength training
- Amputee care and prosthetics
- Balance training
- Wound management
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Treatment of lower extremity dysfunction
Occupational therapy addresses important elements in the treatment of individuals experiencing functional limitations in self-care skills and activities of daily living. Occupational therapy shortens recovery time, improves function, and helps individuals become self sufficient. An occupational therapy treatment plan may include:
- Fine and gross motor control development
- One-handed dressing techniques, grooming, bathing, and home management skills
- Training in the use of self-help aids
- Cognitive skills development
- Upper body strengthening and coordination
- Home evaluation to assess need for adaptive equipment and to promote safety
- Safety and fall prevention training
Wesley Commons offers two phases of recovery to facilitate a progressive and functional rehabilitation pathway. Each person’s rehabilitation plan is designed according to clinical condition, level of functioning, and patient and family goals.
In Speech Therapy, individuals are evaluated and treated for hearing, language communication, and swallowing disorders. The focus is on improving speech-language expression, comprehension, oral motor skills for more accurate speech production, and strategies for safe eating. Therapy may include:
- Receptive/expressive language therapy
- Dysphgia management
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Assistive communication devices
- Family and patient education on compensatory strategies and home programs.
Other services include:
- Intravenous and wound care
- Hospice services
- Comfort care (including pain and symptom management therapy)
- Internal feedings
- Oxygen therapy