Click the questions below to see the answers.
What is Wesley Commons?
Wesley Commons is an active Continuing Care Retirement Community sponsored by The United Methodist Church. As all true CCRC’s, Wesley Commons provides a full complement of residences, common areas, and a full continuum of health care.
Wesley Commons has graciously served retirees in this region for over three decades. The latest expansion of 91 new residences is completed. The spacious floor plans of these one and two-bedroom residences delights prospective residents with modern decor, light filled living spaces and many other amenities.
Wesley Commons also provides the finest in health care services including: assisted living, skilled and intermediate nursing care and specialized care for memory support. We also provide licensed home health care and in-patient rehabilitation.
Who owns and operates Wesley Commons?
The community is owned and operated by Wesley Commons, Inc. A volunteer Board of Trustees determines policy and articulates the vision and mission of Wesley Commons. This group of individuals from the local and regional area is made up of distinguished citizens, business executives and professionals.
What is a “Continuing Care Retirement Community”?
A Continuing Care Retirement Community offers accommodations designed for our resident’s specific service and needs. Our hospitality remains consistent throughout the independent living, assisted living and nursing care. The beauty of the concept is best illustrated when a resident requires assistance. As residents’ needs change, they are secure in the knowledge that high-quality supportive services and care are available, when needed, in an attractive, professionally staffed on-site environment.
Across the United States, residents, prospective residents and industry experts overwhelmingly agree that a Continuing Care Retirement Community such as Wesley Commons provides the greatest financial security, value and peace of mind for residents and their families.
What kinds of fees do residents of Wesley Commons pay?
The residents of Wesley Commons pay a one-time Refundable Entrance Fee upon moving to the community and a Monthly Service Fee for services to be provided. The Entrance Fee assures the residents’ use of the community facilities and availability of the services and programs of the community. The continuing care benefit assures each resident lifetime access and use of the facilities and services in the Assisted Living Facility or the Health Care Center, if needed.
The Entrance Fee varies depending on the type and size of residence and the entrance fee option selected. Wesley Commons offers residents a number of refund options ranging from zero percent to 30%, 50% as well a 90% Refundable Option and Monthly Entry Fee.
How do the refund options differ?
The 50% Standard Refund Option: The refund is based on 95% of the Entrance Fee, less 1% per month for each of the 6th through 50th months of occupancy. The refund is never less than 50%, nor greater than 95% of the original Entrance Fee paid.
The 90% Refund Option: The refund is based on 95% of the Entrance Fee, less 1% per month for each of the 6th through 10th months of occupancy. The refund is never less than 90%, nor greater than 95% of the original Entrance Fee paid.
With either refund option, a resident may use the refund as a credit against health care expenses in the event of a permanent transfer to the Assisted Living, Special Care House or Health Care Center.
What is included in the Monthly Service Fee?
- The Monthly Service Fee entitles residents of Wesley Commons to enjoy the following services, programs, common areas and amenities:
- Thirty (30) meals on average per month
- Special diets and tray service, if resident is ill
- All utilities including electricity, water, sewer, standard television hook-up and basic cable service, trash removal and standard municipal services. (The resident is responsible for telephone charges.)
- Weekly maid services to include dusting, vacuuming, and cleaning of residence
- Weekly laundering and changing of resident’s bed and bath linens
- Full maintenance of the community’s facilities, appliances, and buildings
- Maintenance of lawns, trees, landscaped areas and parking areas
- Secure, lighted parking areas
- Activities including social, recreational, spiritual, educational and cultural opportunities, arts and crafts, bridge, computer lab, lifelong learning, fitness groups, gardening clubs, and other special interest programs
- Transportation for residents on a regular, scheduled basis for doctor and medical appointments, shopping and activities
- On-campus health care featuring emergency care, assisted living, skilled and intermediate nursing care, and specialized care for dementia-related disorders
- Wellness department for consultations, screenings, education and appointments
The Monthly Service Fee varies according to the size of the residence. An additional Monthly Service Fee is charged for a second person occupying the residence.
Is the Monthly Service Fee fixed or is it subject to change?
The Monthly Service Fees are reviewed annually by the Board of Trustees and management and may be adjusted based on actual operating costs. Wesley Commons strives to maintain its costs at the lowest feasible level consistent with sound financial practices. Historically, cost-plus amenity based annual increases approximate the average annual cost of living expenses that are commiserate for our services within our geo-economic region. A 30-day written notice is provided to all residents in advance of any increase.
Are other services available for an additional charge?
Wesley Commons offers many other services to best serve our residents. They include the following:
- Onsite salon services
- Convenience store
- Guest meals
- Tray meal service to residence during illness
- Private transportation
- Additional housekeeping
- Catering services
- Certain educational programs and excursions
- Business services (copy, fax, etc.)
- Onsite banking services
- Internet access
- Personal maintenance requests
What are the prominent features of the residences?
Designed for independent residents, The Treehouse and Heritage House apartment buildings are situated in wooded areas and connected to the community center. The apartments feature spacious rooms with plentiful windows and many have balconies or patios so residents may take advantage of the area’s natural beauty.
All independent living residences have been designed for comfort and distinctive living, and careful consideration has been given to specifications that provide maximum security, safety and accessibility. These features are not always noticeable in day-to-day living, but they provide the residents with the added dimension of peace of mind.
Residents are able to select custom features to personalize their residences for an additional charge.
All residences include the following standard features and offer potential for customization and upgrades:
- Vinyl floor covering in kitchens and baths
- Spacious closets
- Fully equipped kitchens with a frost-free refrigerator/freezer, disposal, dishwasher, range/oven, overhead lighting, generous storage and cabinet space
- Bathroom(s) with shower, tub, or a combination, and vanities
- Urgent call system for 24-hour security and nursing assistance; fire and smoke detectors and sprinkler system.
- Individualized heating and air conditioning system control for each residence
- Pre-wired central cable television, telephone and data-port outlets for high speed internet access
- Washers and dryers provided in each residence
May I furnish and decorate my apartment?
Yes, residents furnish and decorate their residences to reflect their own personal tastes. Any structural changes or additions beyond standard features must be approved by the management and are the financial responsibility of the resident. Our staff is delighted to work with you in making certain décor selections.
What kinds of amenities and common areas are available for residents?
The commons building is the heart of Wesley Commons and the center for activities and fellowship. Accessible to all residents, the community center is the home of many amenities including:
- Handsome lobby/bistro/café/concierge area
- Gracious formal dining room, with waited menu service
- Private dining room
- “Cafe” for informal meals and take-out service
- Chapel/Cultural center
- Fitness area with exercise equipment
- Hobby room
- Meeting and activity spaces for resident use
- Classrooms/computer lab/business center
- Modern state of the art fitness center
- Indoor, heated swimming pool
- Woodworking Facility
All of these common area spaces are focal points for recreation and fellowship, and they are easily accessible to residents of the entire campus.
What health care services are available?
Wesley Commons is committed to supporting residents to maintain good health and to meeting a wide range of health care needs. Residents may engage the services of a physician of their choice. In addition, our extensive on-site health care services meet the highest standards. Our specialized in-house health care program includes:
- Wellness department
- Emergency and special care services
- Assisted living services
- Skilled and intermediate nursing services
- Dementia care
- Licensed Home Health Care
- In-Patient Rehabilitation
- Wellness Clinic: A wellness clinic is available for certain consultations, screenings and appointments as authorized and provided by the community.
- Assisted Living Services: Palmetto Place is a new and innovative Assisted Living Center. Here, the community will provide assistance with daily activities to residents who need some assistance to maintain their dignity and independence.
- Nursing Services: Wesley Commons’ Health Care Center is a licensed nursing facility with 102 private rooms that provides skilled and intermediate nursing care. If it is determined that a resident needs such care, Wesley Commons provides 24-hour nursing care by qualified, licensed or certified professionals. The Health Care Center is approved for both Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement.
The Health Care Center offers professional in-patient rehabilitation services to help residents return to a normal lifestyle following an accident or surgery.
In addition to the continuing care benefit, a great number of wellness services are also available including:
- Exercise and wellness programs
- Seminars on diet, nutrition and other health-related issues
- Routine primary care and preventive care services
- Short-term nursing services
- An urgent call system and rapid response system
Does Wesley Commons provide a program for Alzheimer’s/Dementia Care?
As part of Palmetto Place, Wesley Commons has a 12-suite, state-of-the-art Memory Support Center. Designed as a separate wing of the Assisted Living building, Jasmine Cottage Special Care House reflects the most innovative technology and programs for those with Alzheimer’s and other dementia-related illnesses. Jasmine Cottage is a Scandinavian based program highly residential in character and features a variety of therapeutic “activity” stations including an enclosed garden courtyard. Wesley Commons’ residents have priority for using Jasmine Cottage.
How are transfer decisions to transfer a resident to health care made and by whom?
A transfer determination is based on the physical and mental health, and safety of the resident. Wesley Commons agrees to transfer a resident to Assisted Living or the Health Care Center only after consultations with the resident, personal physician and a member of the family or designated representative (to the extent practical) have taken place.
In the event of such a transfer, would a resident be asked to give up his/her residence?
Many of the stays in the Health Care Center are temporary. Policies regarding moves and transfers at Wesley Commons are designed to enable residents to remain in their residences as long as it is in the best interest of the safety and the well being of the resident and the community.
Where do I go if I need hospital care?
Depending on the preference expressed by the resident and/or the resident’s physician, a resident may choose the Self Regional Medical Center or another area hospital.
Are there other “quality of life” opportunities nearby?
- Location near Lake Greenwood
- Five public and private golf courses within minutes of Wesley Commons (Greenwood Country Club Memberships)
- Public parks with walking trails and picnic sites such as Greenwood State Park
- Theaters, museums, cultural amenities and restaurants
- Excellent hospitals such as the Self Regional Medical Center
- Easy access to both Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, and Augusta airports
- Life learning available at Lander University and Piedmont Technical College
What kinds of spiritual enrichment are offered to residents?
The spiritual well being and nurturing of every resident is important at Wesley Commons. Although Wesley Commons is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, residents represent many denominations and faiths. Wesley Commons is blessed to have an active chaplainry program. Our full time Chaplain and visiting ministers provide worship services across our campus. The Chaplain also conducts Bible study programs, support groups, and counseling with the help of volunteers. Wesley Commons is building a cultural center that will seat over 200 people, used for worship, performing arts, civic groups, and provides a more theatre experience.
Is there a Residents’ Association?
Wesley Commons Residents’ Council is an active, integral part of the community. The Council is instrumental in planning and interacting with management on many facets of campus life. Resident committees include health and fitness, food, building and grounds, and welcoming committees. The President of the Residents’ Council represents the Council with the Wesley Commons President and the Wesley Commons Board of Directors.
What is my next step?
Today, more than ever before, people are recognizing the importance of planning ahead for retirement. Your next step is to schedule an appointment with the Marketing Office by calling 1-888-298-6222 or emailing email@example.com.